RE: Dope Fiends in Disneyland?
Rowdy

I agree Rowdy Hands off psychiatry was always an asset, preists too. I have never come across any journalists involved in TCs - well apart from myself that is. I agree with the concept of the melded TC in Europe - Maxwell Jones and the democratic movement and the TCs concept based which emanated from AA. But in the early days Chuck left behind the Traditions of AA which was their acountablity and rules framework - one great leveler was the "principles above people" concept; Synanon fell prey to the frailness of the "Charismatic Leader" syndrome. Accountability to society needs to be perceived as well as real. The problems in the UK stemmed from a number of abuses, poor management, little accoutability and poor PR.  TCs declined in their importance and relevance.(so sadly because in actual fact TCs are no doubt one of the most effective methods of addiction treatment for the really chronic user). What stemmed from Synanon was this fear of external forces - interferers and do gooders who could have been turned into supporters and message carriers. The principal problem with the TC movement to which it has to be said I am eternally grateful, was that it was threatened by accountability. This fear was excerbated by droves of quite inadequate people given power with which they did not utilise effectively. Feeling threatnened held them back from advancing the cause. Yes, the early days of Synanon were inspirational but the foundations were flawed.

Homer

From: Therapeutic Communities [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rowdy Yates
Sent: 06 March 2007 12:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dope Fiends in Disneyland?

Peter

Yup, yup and yup.  Although, the involvement of psychiatrists (and in some countries, priests or journalists) was not necessarily a bad thing - provided of course they were prepared to take a fairly "hands off" approach (as Griffith Edwards largely succeeded in doing at Phoenix).  Indeed in many ways, it was this involvement of psychiatrists that allowed for the melding of the two TC traditions in Europe which resulted in a more mellow TC.  The trick presumably is in the balance and how that balance is managed.  The on-line obituary I mentioned includes a striking passage by Phill Jackson where he argues that it was the marginalisation of the so-called "lifestylers" at Synanon - the non ex-addict community members - which led to the excesses of the later, rattlesnake days, particularly after they left Santa Monica for the rural idyll.  What he says is that while the lifestylers remained central to the community, they were always there to "tell the King his flies were undone".

Rowdy Yates
Senior Research Fellow
Scottish Addiction Studies
Department of Applied Social Science
University of Stirling

E: [log in to unmask]

T: 01786 - 467737

W: http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/scot-ad/

NOTE: EFTC Conference, 6 - 9 June 2007, Ljubljana, Slovenia
W: http://www.eftc-europe.com/conferentie/