I thought I would join Alsitair by indicating something of what I said last Wednesday, as well as what evolved from that as Peter, Paul and I discussed the various responses later in the week. One thing I will say from the start is that I'm fully sympahetic to Alistair's critique of the institutional impediments that shape employment and funding, as well as the discursive structure of the discipline more generally. At one level, one might simply respond that it is our ethical responsibility (as I think it has been our practice) to overcome such difficulties and ensure that the bibliographical disciplines are understood as being central to all historically based scholarship, of which literature is only a part. A 'traditional' historian who does not think they need bibliographical skills to understand the records before them will unquestionably make significant errors in historical reconstruction simply because they will fail to understand when the difference between text and document.
  In fact, one might turn Foucault's Archaeology of Knowledge back on him and point out that bibliography exists in what he called the fold in the discourse; and that rather than aporia, one is left with bibliography as the discipline that describes the material history of discourse as recorded in artefacts and documents: its shifts, ruptures, and reformations. Where Foucault questioned the possibility of recovering the linguistic formations underlying such knowledge, one might answer that bibliography enables precisely that by focussing on the history of the artefacts in their creation, transmission, and use.
  Which brings me to the caveat that I expressed on Wednesday. One thing that rather peturbed me was a tendency to use bibliography to mean enumerative and analytical bibliogrpahy, and book history to mean historical bibliography, thus reducing bibliography to a set of descriptive tools. Yet, and yet, as Don McKenzie reminded all in his critique of Greg at the start of the Panizzi Lectures 'all bibliography is historical bibliography'.
  The question I put to the group was this: 'to what extent is book history different to historical bibliography?' (as, for, instance, practiced by McKenzie, and indeed most contributors to The Library for the last hundred years). I have an uneasy feeling that book history is simply (in a sense McKenzie welcomed) a more palatable name for something that otherwise sounds rigorous and daunting. After all, McKenzie (like Greg in 1914) would have bibliography 'catholic'. Alas, in practice, I'm inclined to agree with Jim, Warwick, and Germaine that that practice has not been as rigorous as it ought, and that what book history is, to the extent it differs from historical bibliography, is simply the latter without the archival detail or methodological and historical rigour. The new 'Book History' has been, all too often and despite its name, ahistorical and synthetic.
  I'd like to go one step further. and suggest that the very success of 'Book History' leaves it at risk of being dead on its feet: the old agenda of national histories has been largely fulfilled, or will be in England as soon as a few more volumes of the Cambridge project appear (note how efficient those working in 1400-1700 were); whilst work on the history of libraries seems to me to be largely fragmented and lacking a broader narrative. My biggest concern, however, is the extent to which the full richness of the archives remains significantly obscured. At one level this is a descriptive problem, in part created by institutional and funding inertia around cataloguing, where too few staff are available to create the detailed king of searchable records where not only author, title and subject, but marginalia, provenance, other scribal information (price, dates, and so on), and bindings are searchable fields: in this regard, some institutions are more fortunate than others.
  At another level, we need to realise the limitations of our documentation of the archive at a higher level. The STC, for instance, did not include the Vatican (at all), and its reference to European, Australian, New Zealand, and South African holdings was cursory (several 'last known at auction' items, for instance, are in the Turnbull). I know the ESTC is supposed to address this, but a database is only as good as the information it has access to. India, for instance, remains terra incognita to all but a few western scholars, as does the National Library of Russia (the 40000 1501-1600 European books are searchable on line (in Russian), but the much larger 1601-1726 holdings are still only accessible via card catalogue). What of Argentina and Chile, where a great many Welsh and Scottish families emigrated in the nineteenth century? I remember a decade ago the Independent travel section writing about Patagonia and there being a house/museum in the back blocks with 15000 books from the fifteenth to nineteenth centuries: on which database is this recorded, and what is the history of this collection? Will ESTC include all pre-1800 English books in this collection? And what of British ownership of continental imprints, both in this case and more generally? When might we see an integrated pre-1834 European Short Title Catalogue with all desirable fully searchable fields? Never?
  The point I am ultimately making here is that 'Book History' may well be a useful term for institutional funding and support, despite the caveats expressed by Alistair. I welcome its latent generative financial power. Potentially, as well, it has a very large agenda, but we also need to recognise the extent of our ignorance and, as importantly, the need to bring bibliographical skills and resources to bear if we are going to turn a good intention into a discipline of substance. At the end of the day, my view of historical bibliography is catholic enough that I can accept 'Book History' as a euphemism for what we have been doing for a very long time now; what we need to do is assert the primacy of the analytical and historical methods, and of archival detail, in order to be able to ask new questions in new ways: it is there, and not in and of itself, that the engagement with theory and cultural studies takes place.
  Kind regards,
  Mark