On Thu, 2007-22-03 at 12:28 +0000, Barbara Bordalejo wrote:
> Although Jim's phrasing in his message (which I think he intended to
> be private) might be interpreted in the way Germaine suggests, I
> think that there is an important observation behind it. I studied
> under Thomas Tanselle and his influence pursues me to this day, so I
> consider bibliographical and codicological studies a very important
> part of textual scholarship.
> History of the Book, however, is currently being debated (perhaps
> because we lack a clear definition of what it is) and this is a whole
> other issue. As some of you know, Peter Shillingsburg organized a
> round table in Leicester yesterday in an attempt to answer "What is
> book history?" Those of us who were able to attend found a
> challenging panel of serious scholars considering this question. If I
> understood correctly (those who were here are invited to point out
> whether I misunderstood something), Sukanta Chaudhuri gave a precise
> definition of the subject by stating that it referred to non-material
> aspects of the book such as trade and circulation, the history of the
> publication process, pricing, etc. I liked the definition, though I
> have to say, for myself, I would never consider making this the main
> part of my work. I would only be interested in book history defined
> as before, as I am interested in typography: as a contribution to a
> much larger exercise in textual scholarship which could benefit from
> this knowledge.
> In a way, I am grateful for Jim's message, as it is giving us the
> opportunity to discuss our positions around this subject.

Not having been at the roundtable, I can't comment directly--but it
seems to me the non-material definition is unfortunately limiting. I
prefer the study of texts as cultural objects. It seems to me that the
great power of Book History in the last fifteen years or so has been the
way it managed to overcome aspects of the culture wars from the 1990s by
turning the discussion among philologists, textual scholars, and less
materially oriented theorists and critics to a less zero sum argument
than it once had been: now we are at least arguably working towards a
common end.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>