Although Jim's phrasing in his message (which I think he intended to
be private) might be interpreted in the way Germaine suggests, I
think that there is an important observation behind it. I studied
under Thomas Tanselle and his influence pursues me to this day, so I
consider bibliographical and codicological studies a very important
part of textual scholarship.
History of the Book, however, is currently being debated (perhaps
because we lack a clear definition of what it is) and this is a whole
other issue. As some of you know, Peter Shillingsburg organized a
round table in Leicester yesterday in an attempt to answer "What is
book history?" Those of us who were able to attend found a
challenging panel of serious scholars considering this question. If I
understood correctly (those who were here are invited to point out
whether I misunderstood something), Sukanta Chaudhuri gave a precise
definition of the subject by stating that it referred to non-material
aspects of the book such as trade and circulation, the history of the
publication process, pricing, etc. I liked the definition, though I
have to say, for myself, I would never consider making this the main
part of my work. I would only be interested in book history defined
as before, as I am interested in typography: as a contribution to a
much larger exercise in textual scholarship which could benefit from
this knowledge.
In a way, I am grateful for Jim's message, as it is giving us the
opportunity to discuss our positions around this subject.

Best,

BB