Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to invite you to participate to the above conference, which will be held in English on May 17 and 18 at the University of Rouen, France (1h from Paris where the final event will be held on Friday evening). The conference is organised as part of the "Challenge" Integrated Project of the European Commission by the University of Rouen, the French National Institute for Scientific Research (CNRS) and the University of Caen.

The purpose of this conference is to explore in some depth the issues that surround this major contemporary theme. In particular, we would hope that the conference will contribute to the sociological analysis and critique of links between insecurity and otherness that are prevented as "obvious" and produce insight on the relationship between current socioeconomic conditions, the constitution of Others and the threats that such Others are associated with. The opening keynote lecture will be given by Robert Castel and the closing address by Jacques Donzelot.

I attach a document which presents the rationale and the themes of the conference and I strongly hope that this will interest you and that you will be available to come and possibly give a talk. I would be obliged if you could reply by e-mail at you earliest convenience. I am looking forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,

Michalis Lianos

PS: Please feel free to forward this message to colleagues whose work you find interesting and relevant to the subject of the conference.

____________________________
Professor
University of Rouen
Innovation and Society Research Centre
Department of Sociology
University of Rouen
Rue Lavoisier
76821 Mont Saint-Aignan cedex
France
+33 6 988 00 125

Associated Researcher:
Laboratoire d'Analyse Secondaire et de Methodes Appliquees a la Sociologie - Institut du Longitudinal
(LASMAS-IdL) / Centre Maurice Halbwachs
Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales-EHESS ; Ecole normale superieure de Paris-ENS ; Centre
National de Recherche Scientifique-CNRS ; Institut de Recherche sur les Societes Contemporaines-IRESCO ;
Universite de Caen.
http://www.cmh.ens.fr/

Centre d'Etude des Techniques des Connaissances et des Pratiques (CETCOPRA)
Sorbonne (Universite Paris I)

Co-director
European Observatory on Liberty and Security (EOLS)
"Challenge" EC Integrated Project
Centre d’Etudes et des Recherches Internationales
Sciences Po – Paris
http://www.libertysecurity.org/

Honorary Senior Research Fellow
FHSS
University of Portsmouth, UK
+44 709 227 41 20
**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************