Ok...other users on my system didn't have the problem with the same build of
starlink, leading me to further investigate my own environment. In the end I
was able to resolve the issue with the gaiatest.fits file by removing the
.skycat directory in $HOME, though in the process I also destroyed any
evidence for what was causing the problem in the first place....

The question remains why gaia isn't dealing with the absent CRPIX3 keyword
correctly in the gaiacrash.fits test, but at least there is an easy work
around (ie externally ensuring that the header is present).

Thanks for the help!
Matt