From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) on behalf of Neggers, S.F.W.
Sent: Mon 3/26/2007 4:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] FIR

Dear Leonard, list,

a finite impulse response (FIR; I guess that is what you want??) model is nothing more than another set of basis functions modelling the hemodynamic response to your event, in the context of a general linear model. And it is the least informed one, i'd say, perhaps also fourier basis functions are pretty uninformed too.
It is simply 1 dirac delta function per event in a regressor, and in an additional series of subsequent regressors this first regressor is shifted in time with 1 scan each time. By doing so you estimate each timepoint in your BOLD response separately. This however implies that you also have to specify your contrast per time point, which is not always easy (see earlier FIR question today) as you have to ask specific questions regarding your hemodynamics.

FIR basis functions can simply be selected when you specify your model in SPM, you specify how many regressors (eg time points) you want. Have a close look at the resulting design matrix, and perhaps the above makes more sense.

I do not know a specific reference for it, but perhaps medline or "google scholar" does?

Good luck,

Bas

Dr. S.F.W. Neggers
Division of Brain Research
Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience
Utrecht University Medical Center

Visiting : Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
           Room A.00.1.24
Mail     : Huispost A.01.126, P.O. Box
           3508 GA Utrecht, the Netherlands
Tel      : +31 (0)30 2503386