Hi Doerte,

I might be wrong, but I think the situation is as follows:

- Matlab 2006a was a 32-bit piece of software, which was happy to run
on your 64-bit machine in 32-bit mode. The SPM mex files were compiled
for 32-bit Linux, so everything was fine.

- Matlab 2007a is (or at least may be) a genuine 64-bit program, hence
it runs in true 64-bit mode on your 64-bit hardware; this breaks SPM's
32-bit mex files -- it's not a Matlab or SPM bug, just that 64-bit
Matlab requires 64-bit mex files.

- So you need to recompile the mex files, which requires "make" and a
c-compiler, like gcc.

Most Linux distributions have some kind of package manager, perhaps
with some concept of tasks, and will install make, gcc, and a bunch of
other development tools, if you select something like the "C/C++
Development" package/task. I'm afraid I can't help any more than that,
as this depends on your Linux distribution -- ask your tech support to
set-up a standard C programming environment on your Linux box, if
possible.

Best,
Ged.