Indeed! "The quality of some institutional writing is often strain'd"

Rakesh
Coventry University

From: Fran Beaton [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 09 March 2007 16:10
To: Rakesh Bhanot; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Students' writing skills

Dear Rakesh and colleagues

I too can lurk no longer!   As a linguist I have some sympathy with the 'good-enough' communication model, particularly when it is applied to my own efforts in a language which is not my mother tongue.  However I do find it frustrating that the quality of institutional writing can be so poorly crafted.

Separately, but related to that, around half of the new academic staff on our PGCert have learned the grammar and discourse of their mother tongue, English and their own academic subject and express some shock at the quality of writing from their students - and colleagues!

Fran

Fran Beaton
Lecturer in Academic Staff Development
PGCHE Programme Director
Unit for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching
University of Kent
Canterbury
Kent CT2 7NQ

Tel 01227 824167