I am struck by two inter-related isues based upon my own experience of
teaching Socio-linguistics for many years.
Firstly, there is evidence that the physical activity of learning to write
(with a pencil and paper) affects the way in which children learn how to
think – in the case of written forms based upon Greek phonetic alphabet-
as English is – we are encouraged to think in terms of syllogism.

Secondly, reading and writing are part of a literacy event - part of a
wider communicative event which contributes to successful manipulation (in
its best sense) of the written word.  Successful reading and writing are
not done in isolation of other behaviours (actually this in itself could
raise further questions about plagiarism).

So:
a) Could it be that the removal of the physical activity of writing (by
the increasing use of computers) impairs the ability to represent thought
effectively?  This point was reinforced for me the other day when I spoke
to two educationalists who had worked in Japanese schools where pupils do
not have access to any computer as they must learn how to develop their
learning without the aid of technology (other than a pencil of course!).
b) The result of increased student numbers has affected the ‘literacy
event’ to such an extent that engagement with writing has been negatively
affected?

PS- In terms if WP – it would be an injustice if this discussion went down
a social class/linguistically deprived road.

Kindest regards
Liz Grant