Here are the quotations for the coming week (March 11th to 17th):

1. By this time the village was old in experience of war, and, English fashion, had evolved a ritual to meet it. When the postmistress handed her seven-year-old daughter the official telegram to take to Miss Turrell, she observed to the Rector’s gardener: “It’s Miss Helen’s turn now.”

2.
“Go to the stile a-top o’ the Barn field,” said Mary, “and look across Pardons to the next spire. It’s directly under. You can’t miss it - not if you keep to the footpath. My sister’s the telegraphist there. But you’re in the three-mile radius, sir. The boy delivers telegrams directly to this door from Pardons village.”

3. “You’ve got me on your own ground,” said he, tugging at his overcoat pocket. He pulled out his copy, with the cable forms - for he had written out his telegram - and put them all into my hand, groaning, “I pass. If I hadn’t come to your cursed country - If I had sent it off at Southampton - If I ever get you west of the Alleghanies, if -”

The sources of this week's extracts (March 4th to 10th) are as follows:

1.  (...They clawed, they slapped, they fled, leaving behind them a trophy of banners and brasses crudely arranged...)  This is from "The Vortex" in A Diversity of Creatures.

2.  (...he heard a sound as though all the earth were humming...)  This is from "Red Dog" in The Second Jungle Book.

3.  (...the old Queen cried the swarming cry...)  This is from "The Mother Hive" in Actions and Reactions.

Good wishes to all, John R

PS  In the New Readers' Guide we have just published notes by David Page on the final story from  Abaft the Funnel,  "The Last of the Stories", also notes by John McGivering on a further story from Land and Sea Tales for Scouts and Guides, "A Flight of Fact".