"70-80% failure" seems to be a generally accepted figure in the USA, reported by several studies and then endlessly quoted (particularly by people selling a failure-preventative). I think it largely stems from the 1994 Standish Report (aka the Chaos Report), whose research methods have recently been challenged.

"Failure" refers to projects that are considered unsuccessful either because they are over budget, late, missing functions, or a combination of these.
Project success: The project is completed on-time and on-budget, with all features and functions as initially specified.
Project challenged: The project is completed and operational but over-budget, over the time estimate, and offers fewer features and functions than originally specified.
Project impaired: The project is canceled at some point during the development cycle.
Overall (in 1994), the success rate was only 16.2%, while challenged projects accounted for 52.7%, and impaired (canceled) for 31.1%.

http://www.standishgroup.com/sample_research/chaos_1994_1.php
http://www.infoq.com/news/Standish-Chaos-Report-Questioned

Do a Google search for "80% projects fail" and on the first page of results you'll find articles from 1994-2005 that report 80% of:
a) projects (generally, any kind of project)
b) IT projects
c) software development projects
d) service outsourcing projects

fail, mainly due to lack of planning and lack of interest in solid methodology - basically, what Paul said...

Hope this is helpful and/or interesting :-)

regards
Sonya

Sonya Sherman
Senior Records Policy Advisor
Cayman Islands National Archive

"Thomas S. Munzer (AEDI)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I remember hearing Julie Gable of Gable Consulting state at the ARMA Conference in Boston in 2003 that something more than 80% of the EDRMS installations are over budget, late, and do not have the functionality originally desired. The cause was stated as unrealistic deadlines and poor definition of requirements.

Tom Munzer, CRM, CDIA+
A/E Data Integration
Arlington, VA