This is indeed my preferred interpretation of Dowland, which I have on
an old Turnabout LP - one reason why I am not abandoning my turntable.
It is a major priority for CD reissue - it was issued by some French
label & has since become a rarity. I agree about Cuénod, the great quasi
unknown of 20th century vocal interpretation - I have him singing
Schubert & Fauré as well as those Monteverdi recordings with Boulanger.
Miraculously, he seems to be still alive at 104. Then there are Deller,
Russell Oberlin and Pears - not much else to my taste. Unfortunately you
may be right about the uninitiated - I offered a selection of Dowland
recordings to the acquaintance who made my copy of the Sting product,
and she said that her need for the music had been assuaged i.e. it meant
nothing to her.
Shall I sue, shall I seeke for grace...
mj

--

The art of being civilized is the art of learning to read between the lies. - Kenneth Rexroth