I remembered wincing when, knowing Laurie to be a Brit, he uttered 'my bad'
in one episode of House. Most of the time he just speaks 'good' English with
a manufactured drawl, and does it very well. 'My bad' irks me because it
leaves so much to the second party to fill in. My bad what? As with
formulations such as 'I was, like, whatever', what seems lazy and colloquial
is actually quite demanding (it seems to me) because you need to know what
would have been said if the speaker had needed to lay out the whole story in
full. The second party has to insert the substitution in real time.

The thing with 'off of' seems to be the intrusion of the oral into the forms
of the literate. We have become so accustomed to the latter structuring the
former that we sometimes forget which is the cart and which the horse.