I think it's fair to say that while many Latin Americans admire or
envy the US and would like to live here for various reasons almost
all, even the power elites that we sustain, hate the United States as
an entity, and with good reason. We have taken whatever lands we
wanted. We have repeatedly invaded Latin American countries that
threatened "American interests," which often meant one company, and
imposed horrific regimes. We have promoted the overthrow of
democratic governments. And we are currently starving out farmers.
The last positive thing the US did for Latin America (and of course
our self-interest was at stake, but at least it was broader than
corporate interest) was Lincoln's letting the French know that he
wouldn't tolerate their reinforcing Maximilian in Mexico. W is in a
long tradition.

Mark