Census data is always iffy in Latin America, but check out recent
estimates at
http://world-gazetteer.com/wg.php?x=&men=gpro&lng=en&dat=32&geo=-2&srt=npan&col=aohdq.
It gets more complicated--Belize, which is officially
English-speaking, is about half Spanish-speaking, for instance. But
for approximations the figures are pretty good.

But of course it's not a contest. Increasingly Portuguese speakers
and Spanish speakers of the educated classes learn each other's
languages, and they tend to see themselves as a part of the same
cultural  unit, i.e., not us.

Mark