Lansdown Lecture: Simp! - Per Mollerup on Design and Simplicity

+ Date: Wednesday 28 March 2007

+ Time: 4:45pm for one hour

+ Location: Middlesex University, Cat Hill Campus: Room 97.

Admission is free.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Lansdown Lecture: Simp!
Prof. Per Mollerup on Design and Simplicity
+++++++++++++++++++++

The Lansdown Centre, in association with Design at Middlesex University, presents a lecture by a
distinguished international visitor, professor of design and design practitioner.

As the world gets more and more complicated, simplicity becomes a quality in increasing demand.
We all seek simplicity in smaller or larger measures. We strive to create simplicity at work and in
our private lives. For shorter or longer periods of our lives we may opt for "the simple life" as a
relief from a complicated everyday. Per Mollerup discusses the whys and the hows of simplicity in
design.

About the speaker:
Dr. Per Mollerup is a Professor at the Oslo National Academy of the Arts. He is Managing Director
of Mollerup Designlab A/S, a Copenhagen-based graphic design office working primarily with
identity and signage.

Prof. Mollerup has written a number of books on design including:

+ Marks of Excellence, The history and taxonomy of Trademarks, Phaidon, London 1996;
+ Collapsibles, A design album of space saving objects, Thames & Hudson, London 2000;
+ Wayshowing – A Guide to Environmental Signage. Principles & Practices, Lars Müller, Baden CH,
2005.

His article Simplicity appeared in a recent issue of Design Research Quarterly Vol.2 No.1 2007
http://www.designresearchsociety.org

+++++++++++++++++++++

Any enquires to Stephen Boyd Davis:  [log in to unmask]

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Forthcoming Lansdown Lectures:

+ Bamber Gascoigne - Tuesday 17 April 2007
Founder, HistoryWorld

Bamber Gascoigne is famous for having been the presenter over many years of the TV quiz show
University Challenge, but he has also spent much of his time since then developing a modular
history of the world. He has now transferred this in various innovative forms to the Web.

+ Jon Kingsbury - Wednesday 25 April 2007
Head of External Supply, BBC Future Media & Technology
BBC 2.0 - Time to re-invent the British Broadcasting Corporation?

Jon Kingsbury explores why the BBC needs to change radically and what its options are for the
next 5 years.

+ Paul Brown - Tuesday 1 May 2007
Paul Brown, Visiting Professor at the Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Robotics and
Department of Informatics, University of Sussex on Drawbots: Computational Intelligence,
Creativity and Cognition

Paul will talk about the Drawbots project and the philosophical and artistic issues of mechanised
artwork, set in the context of his own long-term artistic investigations.

Stephen Boyd Davis
Head, Lansdown Centre for Electronic Arts
Middlesex University, Cat Hill, Barnet, Herts  EN4 8HT
United Kingdom
Tel 44 (0)20 8411 5072
The Centre's Web Pages are at http://www.cea.mdx.ac.uk/