On 29 Mar 2007, at 1:09 pm, Dr. Lauchlan A. K. Mackinnon wrote:

> Are wicked
> problems essentially the concept of convergent vs. divergent
> problems (which
> made its appearance in the psychology of creativity literature in
> the 1950s
> and 1960s) revisited and dressed up in a more elaborate language?

Convergent vs divergent thinking is still a useful concept for
discussing creativity, but it does apply to how designers [and
others] think.  I cannot see how the problems themselves are either
convergent or divergent, but maybe you are using the term in a
particular way that I am unfamiliar with?

David (in convergent mode)

______

David Durling FDRS • Professor of Design • School of Arts &
Education, Middlesex University,
Cat Hill, Barnet, Hertfordshire, EN4 8HT, UK • tel: 020 8411 5108 (24
hour answering machine)
international:  + 44 20 8411 5108  •  email:  [log in to unmask]  •
email:  [log in to unmask]
web: http://www.dartevents.net   http://www.durling.co.uk