Michael Hohl's recent posting reminds me that, although his research
started in Fine Art, his own background is equally in design and he has
been a contributor to this discussion list.

So I am very pleased to announce that his examiners recommended the
award of a Doctor of Philosophy Degree from Sheffield Hallam University
last month. His thesis was entitled:

"This is not here: Connectedness, remote experience and immersive
telematic art"

The work included the development and evaluation of an ambitious
telematic artwork that immersed its unencumbered audience members in a
virtual global environment materialised through live radio feeds from
different cities around the world.

As he pointed out his thesis is online at
http://www.hohlwelt.com/en/papers.html and I must commend Michael for
ensuring that his work is accessible. It is essential for both sharing
knowledge and advancing our individual careers in research that we all
try our best to do this.

Michael is moving to the United States and he will be missed by all of
us here as a supportive and stimulating colleague with a great sense of
humour.

Finally I'd like to encourage all members of this list to use it for
announcing PhD awards, particularly when the new Doctor has been a
contributor to our discussions. For those who are still labouring
towards their doctorate it's important to see that they are going
somewhere and there is a community of colleagues who are achieving their
ambitions. If your supervisor is not on the ball there's no reason why
you should not announce your own award and invite us to celebrate with you.

Best wishes from Sheffield
Chris

Prof Chris Rust
Head of Art and Design Research Centre