Chris,

I've now advanced to a 'wikipedia 101' level of understanding wicked
problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_problems) - Are wicked
problems essentially the concept of convergent vs. divergent problems (which
made its appearance in the psychology of creativity literature in the 1950s
and 1960s) revisited and dressed up in a more elaborate language?

I've thought about the 'wicked problems' type issue in terms of the
convergent/divergent problem dichotomy, probably since reading Pirsig's Zen
and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance when I was a teenager.

Of course, I wasn't using it to define what design is . . .

Regards,

Lauchlan Mackinnon