Friends,

As I see it, there are several core issues in design thinking.
Buckminster Fuller's (1969: 319) model of the design process
incorporates the necessary steps in any design process. "Design
thinking" must occur before the process begins, along the way, and
during it.

The subjective process of search and research, Fuller outlines a
series of steps:

teleology -- > intuition -- > conception -- >
apprehension -- > comprehension -- >
experiment -- > feedback -- >

Under generalization and objective development leading to practice, he lists:

prototyping #1 -- > prototyping #2 -- > prototyping #3 -- >
production design -- > production modification -- > tooling -- >
production -- > distribution -- >
installation -- > maintenance -- > service -- >
reinstallation -- > replacement -- >
removal -- > scrapping -- > recirculation

Fuller used industrial language, but the steps in his model cover
design processes of all kinds, industrial or  not.

How we "think" our way through this process is, of course, the object
of much study. I tend to agree with Chris that the challenge of what
Rittel (1972) and Rittel and Webber (1973) identified as wicked
problems plays a key role, since certain kinds of problems
distinguish design activities from other kinds of activities. Dick
Buchanan's (1992) key article serves as an excellent introduction.
Like Chris, I am puzzled by the frequent tendency to note wicked
problems with a quick reference to this seminal article but no deeper
reflection on the ten or eleven issues that make a wicked problem
wicked, and no recourse to the original Rittel and Webber papers.

Despite the importance of wicked problems in design, I'd argue that
many design problems are not wicked problems. One of the important
reasons for understanding wicked problems is that this understanding
allows us to sort out tame and tractable problems within design
process precisely so that we can address wicked problems in different
ways. Because many wicked problems involve normative questions --
taste, politics, values -- there are also ways to manage wicked
problems through dialogue, negotiation, and ethics. In this sense we
do not "solve" wicked problems because wicked problems have not
solution. What we do is manage them through different kinds of
processes, understanding management itself as a design process. This
issue that has emerged as an important research theme in recent
years, now the subject of a book (Boland and Collopy 2004) and a rich
web site at http://design.case.edu/. Managing, of course, fits
Simon's (1969, 1998) seminal definition of design, and many of us
treat management as one of the several design sciences. In my view,
other issues come into play.

Much of the interesting research of recent years has been part of the
effort to ask what happens when we think as designers. Chris points
to one of my favorites, the late Henryk Gedenryd's (1998) doctoral
thesis. Louis Bucciarelli (1994), and Henry Petroski (1994, 1997)
also address these issues. So does Nigel Cross's (2006) new book.

Chris Rust does the field a great service by maintain a copy of
Henryk's thesis on his web site at:

http://www.chrisrust.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/academic/resources/gedenryd.htm

While the post that launched this thread conflated philosophy of
design with design thinking, I'd suggest that these are not
identical. Philosophy of design covers more than epistemology and
ontology of design, and the question of how designers think. I've
considered this larger range of issues in several articles (Friedman
2001, 2002, 2003), but I won't attempt to address them in a post that
is already too long.

At the risk of irking those who don't like referenced notes on
PhD-Design, I've given reference to the documents I discuss here to
allow people to find and read them directly.

Best regards,

Ken