Following the theme of OH competency:

If we are considering what the "opposition are up to" then just look at the plethora of tools, advice and training provide by the HSE, CIPD and IOSH on such subjects as stress, sickness absence, disability, rehabilitation to name but a few. It is not just the OTs getting out there it is also our HR and Safety colleagues as well. It is some years since I did my foundation OH training  but if these subjects are not already in the current curriculum for OH training then we are in grave danger of becoming extinct!

 What, these days, is our unique selling point??!

regards Eleanor
Eleanor COKE  RN, OHNC,MIOSH
Occupational Health Advisor

Lilly UK
Erl Wood Manor
Windlesham, Surrey, GU20 6PH
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel: +44 1276 483549 Fax: +44 1256 483049
Michaela Davies, Admin Assistant +44 1276 483557

www.lilly.co.uk

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message from Lilly UK (including all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.

Sent by: [log in to unmask]

23/03/2007 11:57
Please respond to
Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
[OCC-HEALTH] Return to work recovery programmes

Hello Jeremy

As you are one of our practice educators would you, and any others who feel strongly about  input on developing “return to work recovery programmes etc) being integral to an OH course,  like to write to me at London South Bank University expressing this opinion. If we have support from the sharp end we may be able to add a further unit as an elective. We would also be able to offer it as a stand alone unit for OHNs who wish to expand or consolidate their competence in this area of practice.

For those interested in responding on this matter please email me at [log in to unmask] I would welcome your support. The course content of any degree programme is not at the discretion of OHNs alone and is a group decision. We have to convince other lecturers from other public health disciplines including school nurses, infection control nurses, HV’s, practice nurses, general nurses and possibly even a learning disability nurse (the Dean of our Faculty) that this is an essential element for an OH course.

Leading on from my earlier email re the meeting at the Royal Society of Medicine  re the input of OT.s and insurance nurses at Unumm Provident. As part of a conversation with three OH physicians- one  physician said something along the lines of - “That was an interesting presentation, it is worrying (that companies are using companies such as these to provide what has been the role of OH services) and it is important we know what the opposition are up to.”  Threatened or what! What is our position?????

Anne Harriss
Course Director BSc Occupational health nursing and MSc OH&S courses