Thnaks for the replies I had to this query- they were more illuminating than might at first appear because they confirm that, iconographically speaking, artists could paint the Glorious Virgin pretty much as they wished.

Ta

laura
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kathryn Wildgen
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: 12 March 2007 14:12
  Subject: Re: Glorified Virgin

  When I went to newadvent.org and googled "glorious virgin," I was sent to the apocryphal accounts of Mary's Assumption. This, from John's account:

  11. And, behold, a new miracle. There appeared above the bier a cloud exceeding great, like the great circle which is wont to appear beside the splendour of the moon; and there was in the clouds an army of angels sending forth a sweet song, and from the sound of the great sweetness the earth resounded. Then the people, having gone forth from the city, about fifteen thousand, wondered, saying: What is that sound of so great sweetness? Then there stood up one who said to them: Mary has departed from the body, and the disciples of Jesus are singing praises around her. And looking, they saw the couch crowned with great glory, and the apostles singing with a loud voice. And, behold, one of them, who was chief of the priests of the Jews in his rank, filled with fury and rage, said to the rest: Behold, the tabernacle of him who disturbed us and all our race, what glory has it received? And going up, he wished to overturn the bier, and throw the body down to the ground. And immediately his hands dried up from his elbows, and stuck to the couch. And when the apostles raised the bier, part of him hung, and part of him adhered to the couch; and he was vehemently tormented with pain, while the apostles were walking and singing. And the angels who were in the clouds smote the people with blindness.

  It reads like a description, albeit imperfect, of Titian's Assumption at Sta Maria Gloriosa.

  Laura Jacobus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    With apologies for cross-posting.  I'm trying to elucidate precisely what the title of 'Glorious Virgin' meant, and how she might have been visualised in her glorious state in medieval art.  This is in connection with research into an order dedicated to her praise.  Would I be right in thinking that her glorification was closely associated with her Assumption and Coronation?  I'm looking at 13thC Italy, and the few images I can assocate with this title would seem to indicate that this was the case, but I just want to check with the experts...

    thanks

    Laura
    --------------------------
    To change your address contact the Listowner Harriet Sonne at [log in to unmask] For other commands see the MEDART-L WEB page: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~hsonne/MedartL