Diana Wright wrote:

> This is seriously contested by many contemporary classicists.

Why?

> There is a helluva lot of difference between personal & institutional
> religion

Yes, but religious institutions are composed of religious persons and
religious persons are usually affiliated with religious institutions.
The two sides of the coin are different, but it is still one coin  At
this early stage of the research, I don't see a need to split hairs.  My
  current focus is on the institutions, but I also want to study why is
it that there are so many people in these institutions that suffer from
Stockholm's syndrome.

>> Please tell us (me) more about the discussion at the Univ of
>> Washington.  Who was the speaker? Was Girard mentioned? Yes = ? No
>> = ?
>>
>> Luis
>

> Girard was not mentioned, nor would he have been appropriate for the
> context.

Why not?

===========> Is anyone here familiar with Girard's work?

> The speaker was James Wellman. He has edited a book out this week:
> /Belief and Bloodshed, Religion and Violence across Time and Tradition.
> /http://www.amazon.com/Belief-Bloodshed-Religion-Violence-Tradition/dp/074255824X/ref=sr_1_1/105-5946353-1633208?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174010110&sr=1-1

Thanks ...

> Sorry my software won't let me make a TinyURL.
>
> In the study he discussed, for a book to come out next spring, he was
> disinterested in theory, but in what American Protestants have to say on
> the issue. In other words, what do people of a particular form of
> religion actually believe on this issue? And why?

When time permits, could you kindly send me a copy of his presentation,
or at least the summary of what people believe and why?

Take care,
Luis

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]