Luis Gutierrez wrote:

> Diana Wright wrote:
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>> culture
>>
>> I went to a lecture last night at the U. of Washington on religion &
>> violence. The speaker's conclusions, after 4 years of study, 2000+
>> interviews with US Protestants, & many many books on many other
>> religions across history, was:
>>
>> well, yes and no.
>>
>> Luis Gutierrez theorizes about religion but he talks about
>> Christianity. He has yet to define religion.
>
> Hello Diana,
>
> According to Merriam-Webster
> http://209.161.33.50/dictionary
> ------
> Main Entry:
>    re·li·gion
> Pronunciation:
>    \ri-ˈli-jən\
> Function:
> Â Â Â noun
> Etymology:
> Â Â Â Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin
> religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious
> practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back

This is seriously contested by many contemporary classicists.

> — more at rely
> Date: 13th century
>
> 1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>
> b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
> b(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
> 2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes,
> beliefs, and practices
> 3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
> 4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
> ------
>
> I use "religion" in the sense of number 2 above, i.e.,
>
> 2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes,
> beliefs, and practices

There is a helluva lot of difference between personal & institutional
religion
.

> Please tell us (me) more about the discussion at the Univ of
> Washington.  Who was the speaker? Was Girard mentioned? Yes = ? No
> = ?
>
> Luis

Girard was not mentioned, nor would he have been appropriate for the
context.

The speaker was James Wellman. He has edited a book out this week:
/Belief and Bloodshed, Religion and Violence across Time and Tradition.
/http://www.amazon.com/Belief-Bloodshed-Religion-Violence-Tradition/dp/074255824X/ref=sr_1_1/105-5946353-1633208?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174010110&sr=1-1

Sorry my software won't let me make a TinyURL.

In the study he discussed, for a book to come out next spring, he was
disinterested in theory, but in what American Protestants have to say on
the issue. In other words, what do people of a particular form of
religion actually believe on this issue? And why?

DW

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]