Diana Wright wrote:

> I went to a lecture last night at the U. of Washington on religion &
> violence.  The speaker's conclusions, after 4 years of study, 2000+
> interviews with US Protestants, & many many books on many other
> religions across history, was:
>
> well, yes and no.
>
> Luis Gutierrez theorizes about religion but he talks about
> Christianity.  He has yet to define religion.

Hello Diana,

According to Merriam-Webster
http://209.161.33.50/dictionary
------
Main Entry:
     re·li·gion
Pronunciation:
     \ri-ˈli-jən\
Function:
     noun
Etymology:
     Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin
religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious
practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back — more at rely
Date: 13th century

1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>
b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
b(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes,
beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
------

I use "religion" in the sense of number 2 above, i.e.,

2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes,
beliefs, and practices

Please tell us (me) more about the discussion at the Univ of Washington.
  Who was the speaker?  Was Girard mentioned?  Yes = ?  No = ?

Luis

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]