Dear John,

Many, many thanks for a smashimg bit of detective work!

The Sulpicia in question is neither of the two women poets mentioned but
instead another member of this aristocratic ancient Roman _gens_, Sulpicia
Patercula, the wife of Fulvius Flaccus.  Pliny, _Natural History_, 7. 35
calls her the most chaste of Roman matrons.  You can read about her there or
in Valerius Maximus (8. 15. 12).  Or, among medieval authors, at Christine
de Pizan, _Livre de la cité des dames_, 2. 43. 3 and Boccaccio, _De
mulieribus claris_, 67.

I have a pbk of Christina somewhere ....

S. seems to have been canonized at the Walters.

Their authority is THAT great ?? !!

But clearly St Supice de la Foret must be dedicated to one of the male
Sulpicii. It just seemed appropriate if a House of Fontevriste nuns was
dedicated to a female famous for her chastity .....

Best,

Brenda.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]