From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Chris Laning
Sent: Fri 3/2/2007 6:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] medieval vandalism

On Mar 1, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Anne Willis wrote:
> As with so many churches mine underwent considerable alteration
> around the turn of the sixteenth century; new rood screen and
> chancel arch; re-built tower; re-built south door and porch.
>
> I am uncovering evidence for considerable destruction within the
> church at this time, particularly of effigies on tombs.  A figure
> was found under the floor in 1834 and the porch was found to
> contain a remarkable variety of old carvings when it was re-built
> in 1864-66.  [see below]
>
> Was this destruction common, and, if so, why?
Common a bit later in the 16th, due to various episodes of the
Reformation, certainly. Earlier in the 16th? I wouldn't know one way
or another.

I was told a lovely story when I was in Stafford last spring. Saint
Chad's, the oldest church in town, apparently had its abundance of
fine Norman carvings covered over with plaster at the Reformation, as
seen here:

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/content/images/45/44/
Resource/8436-0.jpg

At more than one point in its history, the fabric of the building has
been neglected, with the congregation being barely big enough to
support it. Various proposals were made to clear the wreckage away,
since it occupies valuable real estate in the center of town. As the
story goes, a pastor of the day (and this must have been late 19th or
early 20th century) had done everything he could think of to prevent
the threatened removal of the building, so he went into the church to
pray. "Lord," he prayed, "I'm sorry, I've done everything I can, but
it seems inevitable now that this building will be demolished." He
rose and turned to go, and as he was just about to walk out of the
west door, he heard a loud crash behind him. Turning, he saw that a
large chunk of plaster had fallen from the chancel arch, revealing
the amazing Norman carvings hidden underneath:

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/content/images/12/16/
Resource/1564-0.jpg

I'm sad to see the address I had for the church's own web page (which
had lots more details) appears not to be current. I did take quite a
few photos when I was there and would be glad to share them. When I
was there, they were developing a sound-and-light presentation to be
shown in the church during tourist season.

O    Chris Laning <[log in to unmask]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]