-----medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----

To: [log in to unmask]
From: Jessie Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 03/21/2007 10:58PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Anti-Semitism in Medieval Literature and Economic Criticism

Kevin,

If you don't know it already Miri Rubin's Gentile Tales if very useful. I
would also recommend, Christopher Ocker's
There are a lot of useful material in Langmuir's Toward a Definition of
Antisemitism. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press,
1990.
Ocker's  &#8220;Ritual Murder and the Subjectivity of Christ: A Choice in
Medieval Christianity.&#8221; Harvard Theological Review. 91:2 (1998): 153-192.
Stacey's "From Ritual Crucifixion to Host Desecration," Jewish History 12
(1998)
R. Po-shia Hsia, The Myth of Ritual Murder: Jews and Magic in Reformation
Germany.

The original accusations of host desecration are in
Chroniques de Saint-Denis, in Recueil des historiens des Gaules et de la
France, v. 20,  (Paris, 1840), 658; Extraict d&#8217;une Chronique Anonyme, in
Recueil des historiens, v. 21 (Paris 1855), 127.
Extraict d&#8217;une Chronique Anonyme Française, in Recueil des historiens, v.
21, 132-3.

As to the image of the mercantile Jew, Bernard of Clairvaux is infamous
for equating Judaism with usury. I don't have the reference on-hand, but
it is in Cohen's Living Letters of the Law.
You might also find, Stacey's  &#8220;Jewish Lending and Medieval English
Economy.&#8221;  A Commercializing Economy: England 1086 to c.1300.  Richard
Britnell and Bruce M.S. Campbell. Manchester and New York: Manchester
University Press, 1995; and Shatzmiller's Shylock Reconsidered useful.

You might also find Sara Lipton's Images of Intolerance interesting.

I've been working on accusations of ritual murder and the images of Jews
as deicides, which are closely related to accusations of host desecration.
If you'd like a longer bibliography, you can contact me off the list.

Jessie Sherwood

--- Kevin Teo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> To the members on the list,
>
> For someone who is embarking upon his PhD research and presenting it at
> the Leeds IMC this July, I am wondering about the extant corpus of
> scholarship which has been done as pertaining to the medieval
> stereotypes of the Jew as defacers or mutilators of the sacred Host, or
> thieves of it. My research centers on the Croxton Play of the Sacrament
> as a test case, in which economic culture and the concerns over the
> gradually destabilising classes, followed by emerging guilds and all,
> are mapped onto the matrix(es) of race-religion, specifically the
> Jew-type. In this case, I am wondering when the first instance of a
> mercantile Jew appeared in medieval literature(it need not be in Middle
> English), outside of the Edict issued in 1290 Ad against Jews in
> England.
>
> Kevin Jang

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]