from the Introduction by Simon Tugwell O.P. to the Classics of Western Spirituality edition of Selected Writings of the Early Dominicans:

Bl. Jordan of Pisa tells us, [in a sermon on St Dominic’s day, preached in Santa Maria Novella, Florence, in 1303] that when Dominic proposed to the Pope the foundation of an Order of Preachers, the Pope wondered to himself, ‘Who is this man, who wants to found an Order consisting entirely of bishops?’

which seems to imply an assumed identity between preachers and bishops

Cate

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jon Cannon
Sent: 21 March 2007 16:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] bishops preaching

I understand from a colleague that before the Mendicants wrought their considerable impact, no one but bishops was considered able to preach. I knew bishops had the power to license preaches, but not that they might be the only ones to do so. Is this right? Can anyone elucidate further?

Jon Cannon

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html