>> A portable altar?  Temporary altars, and nave altars?  There are plenty
>> of places in churches where we can be confident that there were altars,
>> but no trace of a piscina can now be found.  I agree that some sort of
>> arrangement must have been made, but we cannot be certain what was
>> actually done.
>
> Surely a bowl and a jug/pitcher of water on a table beside the altar
> would answer the need.

It is the drain that is the main problem - and was obviously seen as
essential, as so much effort went into providing a permanent piscina.

John Briggs

Yes, but was the used water considered sacred in any way?  Piscinas drain
into the ground.  Surely the water from a bowl could be carefully poured
into the churchyard?

I suppose I am approaching this problem in an entirely practical/housewifely
way. A fixed washbasin with a drain is far more convenient than a bowl that
has to be carried away and emptied, but the latter is not to be despised if
needed.

If the nave altar in our church is where I think it would have been, no way
could there have been a piscina, unless the Priest was willing to walk to a
side chapel to wash his hands.

Anne

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]