No-one's mentioned St Hugh of Lincoln, AKA St Hugh of Avalon. Unlike
some of our suggested Oddities, Hugh was had a solidly historical
existence, as a late twelfth century Carthusian prior and subsequently
bishop of Lincoln.

But he was not without Oddness. His enthusiasm for saints' relics led
him to chomp a section out of Mary Magdalen (after having been granted
privileged access to her relics), and to take a knife to the incorrupt
sinews of Oswald's arm at Peterborough. Perhaps he should be the patron
of Inappropriate Meals?

JOn

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]