medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Re: [M-R] Odd Saints
Madeleine Gray wrote:
>and the statue of St. Winifred in Westminster Abbey has her with her head on
>but the decapitated head on a plinth by her feet

There's a whole herd (flock?) of saints who picked up their heads and carried them after being beheaded -- including St. Denis and St. Valerie. This list has referred to them as "cephalophores" :)

One of the funniest scenes in Margaret Frazer's medieval murder mystery _The Seamstress' Tale_ is where the lead character, discussing designs for the vestments being made in memory of a beheaded nobleman, suggests they might show a procession of such saints, all carrying their heads...

0  Chris Laning
+  Davis, California
http://paternoster-row.org  -  http://paternosters.blogspot.com