From: "Christopher Crockett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Odd Saints

From: Diana Wright <[log in to unmask]>

> Madeleine Gray wrote:
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> > culture
and the statue of St Winifred in Westminster Abbey has her with her head on
but the decapitated head on a plinth by her feet

> Very usual in Orthodox representations of John the Baptist.

> http://zograph.hit.bg/icons/13.jpg
> http://www.coptic.net/pictures/Icon.StJohnTheBaptist.gif

yes, it has nothing to do with "logic".

the head on the plate --like the scruffy appearance and the hair shirt-- was
one of the Saint's "attributes", characteristic "signs" by which he (or she)
might be easily recognized.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]