On Friday, March 16, 2007, at 1:35 pm, Jim Bugslag wrote:

> with the glass (only
> some flanking angels in the tracery lights survive, though).  On the
> exterior, the
> circumference of the rose window of the church of Saint-Etienne at
> Beauvais is decorated
> with a sculpted Wheel of Fortune (I don't believe the glass within the
> rose has survived).

Here's the rose window of which Jim speaks (Beauvais, St-Etienne):
http://tinyurl.com/289vu8

It's very nice, and the sculptures are certainly elaborate.

Here are a few Italian specimens of ornamental rose windows:

Trento, Cattedrale di San Vigilio, north transept, sculpted Wheel of Fortune:
http://tinyurl.com/yq239f

Osimo, Cattedrale di San Leopardo, south transept:
http://www.marcheromane.it/rosone.jpg

Troia, Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, facade:
http://www.arte-argomenti.org/schede/troia/troia.html
http://tinyurl.com/yrz3kj

Matera, Chiesa di San Domenico
and
Matera, Cattedrale di Santa Maria della Bruna, facade:
http://www.sassiweb.it/ruotadellafortuna/

Evangelists around the window are probably more common.  A few examples:

Tuscania, Chiesa di San Pietro, facade:
http://tinyurl.com/yt7o3o
http://tinyurl.com/2breu4

Spoleto, Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta, facade:
http://www.artstudio.it/spoleto/en_200.html

Assisi, Basilica di San Francesco, facade:
http://www.lexia.it/mobile/images/2.jpg
http://www.travelplan.it/img/assisi04.jpg

Some other ornate rose windows:

Orvieto, Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta, facade:
http://tinyurl.com/22fqet

Palermo, Chiesa di San Francesco, facade:
http://tinyurl.com/24ehro

But my impression is that Gerallt was looking for examples of _painted_ windows as opposed to other forms of decoration.

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]