John, I don't know if I'd read too much in the presence or absence of a halo
on Joseph. Check out:
http://www.art-roman.net/autun/autun4.htm
In the Magi scene, he's not nimbed (around the corner from the main action)
but that may be b/c he's wearing a hat; a halo behind a hat would look
awkward to say the least. But the same is true of Christ! No halo on Jesus
either, perhaps the only time that happens, at least in the 12th c. Ditto
for the Flight into Egypt: no halo on (hatted) Joe. However, in the Nativity
(all of these are on the same page referenced above), he's facing away from
the principal action, a common enough situation, but is haloed (and
hatless). I suspect that artistic constraints (space, aesthetics, even
logic) had more to do with Joseph's having a halo or not than devotion to
him as a saint. But I stand ready, as always, to be corrected.
MG

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglinemarch07

to: [log in to unmask]