Hello Gavin

I have just been doing a search of various dialog Datastar databases available to NHS England. I was trying to check that some of the links to print & electronic holdings were all functional after the athens reconfiguration. To do this I took several journals and searched for specific items within the database I know covers that journal title. I’m responsible for several organisations so I have to do the same search multiple times.

At approximately 9.10 this morning I searched Medline for an article by W. Lee with ‘bias’ in the title- this is an article in the March 2007 issue of British Journal of psychiatry. I had not problem finding it and followed our local link to full text. After setting up some more searches I logged out of that account and logged in again to a different account. I reran precisely the same search and got no results. I checked the results I had & they were in no sort of order with much older dates being returned at the top of the list. I then checked the journal title ‘British journal of psychiatry’ and in spite of using the 1996- version of Medline only one item on the first page was current (2006)- the rest were dated 1963.

Also in this process I noticed that when I ran a search in either CINAHL or EMBASE for an article in a current issue of journals they did not appear. I had to go back some months before finding articles that had been added to the database from very popular journals. How long is the delay before records are added to these databases?

Are there problems with the data configurations this morning?

I’d appreciate some feedback as there is no point in me checking that the reconfiguration worked if the databases are misbehaving

I’m copying this to lis-medical in case others are having similar problems & can feed them back to you

Fiona

Fiona Rees

Library Services

South Staffordshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Learning Centre

St George's Hospital

Corporation St

Stafford ST16 3AG

01785 221584

Clear, safe knowledge on tap
Visit your local library to find out what’s new and what’s going on – you might be surprised at what you find…
…skilled staff to help with enquiries and searches
…training courses and outreach services
…the best available evidence about health care just a click away at
www.library.nhs.ukHYPERLINK "http://www.library.nhs.uk/"
…access to electronic journals and books as well as traditional paper copies

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent the views of South Staffordshire Healthcare NHS Trust unless otherwise explicitly stated.  The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.  Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.