Hello

Thanks to the very many of you who responded with suggestions.

The majority recommended or said they used LC. It has the advantage of looking like (and being related to) NLM. The down side is that the full schedules aren't freely available (although there are some fairly detailed breakdowns of it on the web and it has been suggested that I try to scrounge an old copy from somewhere.)

Slightly fewer people opted for the Wessex. I hadn't come across this before. I think it looks really good. You can get the full thing for free via the SWRLIN website. It's a whole scheme based on NLM but focussed on the UK and the modern NHS. I particularly liked WT, which isn't even a section I wanted to change, but it has some really useful class marks (one just for "falls"!!). It also has specific classes for leadership, clinical governance, teams, learning styles and a host of other hot topics.  The problem with this, for me, is that I suspect I'd want to move from NLM to Wessex, which would be a big job....

A handful of people mentioned the South West Thames scheme, which I have but don't much like. My copy doesn't have the detailed guidance that Wessex has - just one or two words to define each class mark. It's quite a short schedule, too and I feel it lacks the level of detail I need.

I received just one recommendation for Bliss and two brave souls had developed their own schemes entirely!

I've got a pile of problem books and am attempting to classify them using LC, South Thames and Wessex. So far Library of Congress is proving hardest to use in terms of finding useful classes for things and separating out large subjects. Wessex is proving useful because I've got the full schedules. Some serious consideration needed before I make a decision, but I'm definitely leaning towards Wessex at the moment.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Sara

Sara Stock BA (Hons) DipLib MCLIP
Library Services Manager
Essex Rivers Healthcare NHS Trust
Colchester General Hospital
Turner Road
Colchester
Essex
CO4 5JL
T 01206 742146
E [log in to unmask]
W www.essexrivers.nhs.uk and http://collibrary.blogspot.com

A Helicon Accredited Library

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.