Dear all

Has anyone got any thoughts and suggestions on using classification schemes alongside NLM? NLM is fine for all the clinical stuff we have, but our non-clinical collection is rapidly expanding - management, education, social work - and I'm finding NLM less and less useful for these subjects.

Part of my problem is that apart from Dewey (I'm a public library escapee) I'm not familiar enough with any of the other schedules to decide that one of them is worth using. And as the Librarything blog has noted http://www.librarything.com/thingology/2006/08/angry-about-classification.php you can't get full schedules for free anywhere.

So can anyone suggest a cheap and easy solution (other than inventing my own scheme which I really do not have time to do)?

Thanks

Sara

Sara Stock BA (Hons) DipLib MCLIP
Library Services Manager
Essex Rivers Healthcare NHS Trust
Colchester General Hospital
Turner Road
Colchester
Essex
CO4 5JL
T 01206 742146
E [log in to unmask]
W www.essexrivers.nhs.uk <http://www.essexrivers.nhs.uk/>  and http://collibrary.blogspot.com <http://collibrary.blogspot.com/>

A Helicon Accredited Library

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:  to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it.  Thank you for your co-operation.