You may also be interested in this website from the University of
Hertfordshire developed with international students in mind.
http://www.uefap.com/index.htm

The English Language Teaching unit of the School of Combined Studies
runs programmes for non-native English speakers and has recently
started a Study and Communications Skills drop-in service for
one-to-one support in the LRCs.

Regards,
Angela

At 10:10 19/03/2007, you wrote:
>As promised, here is a summary of the responses I recieved to my
>question about the level of guideance given to Home and
>International students on grammar:
>
>I had five replies from HE institutions, 1 from FE and 1 School
>library. Support ranges from online tutorials, one to one support
>sessions, study skills materials and recommended reading.
>
>The University of Leicester offers downloadable guides on grammar
>and punctuation, and one to one sessions, from the student support
>services department.
>
>The University of Bolton has created BISSTO (Bolton
>Interactive Study Skills Tutorial Online), which has a section about
>basic grammar. It is quite widely used across the university,
>particularly for international students. This is very well designed
>with clear guideance.
>You can take a look for yourself at:
>http://www.bolton.ac.uk/bissto/basicskills/english/grammar/index.htm
>
>London South Bank University has a Skills for Learning Unit which
>runs courses along these lines for U/G and P/G students, from
>English-speaking and non-English speaking backgrounds.
>
>Cranfield University has (eDW) a package for teaching writing for
>defence personnel and civil servants. It is freely available on the
>internet, and is an engaging interactive product:
>http://defac.ac.uk/edw/eDW/edw_welcome_01.htm
>
>The University of Gloucester has an International Student Support
>Worker who offers one to one advice.
>
>Coleg Llandrillo again offers one to one advice from Learning Cenrte
>staff, and has a range of hand outs for guideance.
>
>Recommended texts:
>HE level students would include David Crystal, Rediscover Grammar or
>Angela Burt, Quick
>solutions to common errors in English.
>
>For ESOL students they would recommend Michael Swain, The Good
>grammar book or Raymond Murphy, Essential grammar use.
>
>Eats, shoots and leaves by Lynne Truss
>
>Many thanks to everyone for their assistance,
>
>Becky
>Academic Librarian for Aeronautical & Automotive Engineering and
>Electronic & Electrical Engineering.
>Ext. 2344.
>Email: [log in to unmask]

Angela Dimond
Faculty Information Consultant, Interdisciplinary Studies and
Widening Participation Strategy
Learning & Information Services
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield College Lane Campus