Does the world have a view about the use of what is essentially a technical expression?

This part of an essentially technical vocabulary and is actually fraught with what linguisitc philosophers call “persuasive definitions”. (“A persuasive definition is a form of definition which purports to describe the 'true' or 'commonly accepted' meaning of a term, while in reality stipulating an uncommon or altered use…. “; Wikipedia’s current and persuasive definition).

There was, and is, a similar debate in the UK where cons and neo-cons prefer the even less politically charged “variation” to "disparity" or “inequality”. Margaret Whitehead and others have distinguished between “inequality” (all variations in health status  whether unjust, just or neutral – ie those both variations that can be mended and those that can’t) and “inequity” (unnecessary and unjust variations in health -  only those that can be mended).

I believe this is an entirely unhelpful and manufactured distinction and a classic case of, albeit well-meaning, “persuasive definition”. I also think it stems from not recognising that there is  fundamental difference in meaning of “equality” when used to indicate “identity” in a mathematical context ; and  when it is used to indicate  “equivalence” in socio-economic, political or health context.

To put it bluntly 2+2=3+1=4 expresses three different ways of identifying the same abstract entity. On the other hand while I may be Tony Blair’s equal, I’m not my own equal.

Rather than running away from the ideological and linguistic confrontation should we not stand our liberal ground and argue that "Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health is the most shocking and the most inhuman"?

Mike Hughes