Matt,

I'm slightly surprised by this, I didn't think that this client setting
had any effect. I was sure that the server side always decided on the
number of streams. In dCacheSetup there is a

parallelStreams=1

field. By default this should be set to 10. I change it to 1 since I've
seen better performance with this configuration. There is some
information in the service challenge section of the wiki.

That being said, I just ran an srmcp of a file into your dCache with the
  -streams_num=10 option and it worked fine. I think you need to find
out more information from the user.

Cheers,
Greig