On 27/03/07, Dr Skinner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> That's what I understood.  I am sure it is elementary stuff to you
> experienced people, but can you explain why there should be the distinction?

Our NHS contract specifically prevents us from charging for referrals,
be they NHS or private, because making referrals is a contractual
duty. It doesn't cover completing claim forms, so we can (and should)
charge for them.

> When I do an NHS choose and book referral I simply need to make a few clicks
> and the electronic notes get taken into the letter to be emailed to the
> Great NHS Computer.   When I do a private referral letter (which I might add
> most of the consultants don't demand or need since the patient can give the
> history) I have to write a proper letter which takes time.

Use a template to pull out the past history & drugs into a Word document.

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK