Dear all,
Since we started down the road of using ILfA, and more recently attempting to use the GLOs and 4 Ps to determine evaluation questions which might elicit a quantifiable, qualitative response to our exhibitions, we have 'discovered' (although it is obvious now I think about it) that it is extremely difficult to do so with 'bought in' exhibitions. This is basically because we have not devised or visualised the exhibition ourselves from the outset, so we cannot easily identify the predicted/desired user or learning outcomes of the exhibition.

I'd like to have a chat with anyone else who has encountered this problem, and also what others think about suggesting having a category on touring exhibition websites (such as the great one operated by TEG) for 'Predicted learner/User outcomes' with specific reference to ILfA?

This might encourage touring exhibitors to use ILfA when pulling exhibitions together and would most definitely help at the point of selecting an exhibition. Ideally, before going onto such a site one would have a very clear idea of what sort of exhibition is required, but we all know that this is not always what dictates choice of exhibition!

Just attempting to think of predicted user outcomes using ILfA started me thinking very carefully about our reasons for and process of choosing exhibitions in the first place. If we cannot think of a learning outcome for our exhibition - then why did we book it in the first place etc

It throws up a whole array of interesting questions actually, ones which are leading us to completely re-think how we go about choosing/putting on exhibitions and is encouraging us to think seriously about developing overarching learning or user outcomes which inform our choice of exhibitions, as well as all our other areas of our work… but this is an idea mainly under development in mine, and the education officers head, at the moment!

Be good to hear your thoughts…
Peta

Peta Louise Cook
Curator