Hello everyone,

I am interested in learning how to model the within-subjects effect of time on a two-stimulus
presentation.

Each participant viewed two stimuli (CS+, CS-) for a total of ten trials (5 per stimuli).

In my first-level FEAT, I have created 2 original EVs and added the temporal derivates to
investigate the main effect of stimulus type.  Thus, the contrasts:

1 -1 (CS+ > CS-)
-1 1 (CS+ < CS-)
1   0 (CS+ > rest)
-1 0 (CS+ < rest)
0  1  (rest > CS-)
0 -1 (rest < CS-)

We also belive the signal strength in our ROI may be greatly affected by repeated stimulus
exposure.  For some participants, the signal may habituate, in others it may sensitize.

Do I need to create 5 original EVs to represent the 5 trials of stimulus exposure, and then create
contrasts that model each potential "shape" of the within-subjects' time effect?

I belive I would model a linear signal habituation as:

 2 1 0 -1 -2

(and a sensitization model would be the opposite).

For a cubic effect, would I model:

2 1 -6 1 2

The interaction of the main effects of stimulus and time are also of interest, as we predict CS- to
remain constant over time and CS+ to change.

Are all interaction effects analyzed if I select the "interaction" basic shape of an addition EV?

Thank you so much for your help,

Deane