The denotation of the term "expression" is neutral to any theory and
could easily be purified of circumstantial connotations and adapted to
serve in the proper sense of "conveying meaning", "creating
significance", in this case cinematic significance or 'CINEMATIC
EXPRESSION'. I admit the phrase may have some flaws in replacing 'FILM
LANGUAGE', but can we come up with a better one?

expression suggest, i think, an intentionality anterior to the thing
being considered -- and that can be [often is] misleading . . . i take
it, OTOH, that when we use [very loosely and no doubt carelessly] the
term [or metaphor] or language, what we mean to designate is that the
thing being considered can [for lack of a better term] be "read" . . .
that is to say that human intelligence can look at it and discover
signification and meaning . . . thus we might want to refer to the
language of nature, or the language of furniture, etc. etc.  . . . film
as a medum  -- and the moving image as a constellation of communicative
[not expressive]  protocols and parameters -- follow rules and patterns
and many of these serve to make the moving image readable, intelligible,
meaningful

this doesn't require the concept of expression, but does seem to make
the metaphor of language apt

mike

.

*