Haim writes:
What do you think of the possibility to give the specific system of
articulation employed in the film medium a proper name and call it let's say
"CINEMATIC EXRPESSION ", rather than "FILM LANGUAGE". Thus avoid the
metaphorical connection to verbal language and sever once and for all the
confusion introduced by the allegorical simplistic connections between the
two and repair the damage caused to film theory by Metz and other
practitioners of the term.

I agree with the problem cited - i.e. that semiotics, in general has caused a great deal of harm to people's thinking about film (and maybe language as well for that matter) but my reason for wanting to think of film as a language is that I believe that language itself is headed into a very new realm with the evolution of motion picture paradigms - sliced and diced with other communications forms in the digital mediasphere. therefore it makes sense to find ways of discussing all these media with equivalence under the banner of language systems. and then see what the discussion yields.
Of course, I think this because I've been thinking this, and have worked out such a system in pretty broad, but still philosophically defensible terms.

Don't forget - language has been around for millenia. Film for just a fraction of one. Language and thought evolves, and guess what's pushing that evolution.
dan

See what's free at http://www.aol.com. * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **