Metz' realization, in his classic 1964 essay, 'Le cinéma: langue ou
langage?', that film is not a language in the linguistic sense (it
has no double articulation), but discourse - still adhering to the
communicational model, right up to his final book, L'énonciation
impersonelle (1991) - leads more or less directly to the ANALYSIS of
individual films and their parameters. However, because primary-order
(i.e. linguistic) language is a component of film (dialogue, inter-
and subtitles, text within the iconic image track etc.), obviously
the medium cannot be entirely divorced from linguistic language. Just
watch a film in a language you don't understand to see how crucial
dialogue usually is in anchoring the images. But the analysis of film
does point to certain conventions, i.e. codes, even if they are
always context-specific in the sense of being part of the individual
filmic system which can never be completely subsumed under abstract
categories: a film may be a Western - to take genre as an example of
a set of conventions -, but while this denomination is probably
necessary in an analysis of said film, it is not sufficient in terms
of defining it.

Unlike linguistic language, which consists of digital signs (in
Nelson Goodman's sense), film's image track is an analogue sign
system. So, while for instance a low-angle shot of a character is
often used to make her seem more imposing and powerful (in a given
situation), this is a loose convention and not a code in the strictly
grammatical sense. Filmic codes thus would have to be conceived as
typical or probabilistic in terms of their signification.

Nonetheless, we shouldn't completely debunk the 'film as language'
metaphor (if that's at all possible), for the simple reason that ALL
natural language is ultimately metaphorical, and everything
'originally' meant something else. Metz describes this well in the
fourth section of his book The Imaginary Signifier ('Metaphor/
Metonymy, or, the Imaginary Referent').

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.