  From: Frank, Michael
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:16 PM
  Subject: Re: film | mother tongue

  i don't know colin's book, and don't read french  [ is it available in english? ]  but perhaps boris can say whether from his POV it's possible to talk about "codes" without talking about language? . . .  that is, isn't the concept of code in some way a subcategory of, and thus dependent on, some notion of language

  i agree that the word language has been co-opted and abused, and that we need to be more meticulous in how we use it . . . but doesn't the idea that film uses code imply a linguistic foundation of some kind?

  mike