From: Film-Philosophy Salon [mailto:FILM-

Subject: Re: Just what is Cinematic (from Zizane)

This old-fashioned topic of the cinematic is what classical film

theory dealt with, trying to establish the medium as a legitimate art

form. Who cares about film being an art? Film is important whether it

is art or not. Any claim of x,y or z being 'cinematic' and a, b or c

being 'non-cinematic' is essentialist. A truly non-essentialist

approach to film would have to acknowledge that there is no such

thing as cinematicity. Film is, as Bazin correctly observed,

basically (but not essentially) an impure form which can best be

understood in terms of (probabilistic) clusters of properties rather

than essences. Not even the visual, the moving image, is cinematic,

as there have been, especially in experimental film, attempts to

produce and question cinema without a projected image (e.g. by

Michael Snow or Valie Export).

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **